Job Title: Project Director/Grants Manager
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
Probationary Period: 3 months
The Project Director/Grants Manager will work with the project teams to refine and adjust the programme approach to maximise opportunities, mitigate risks, and continue to deliver high impact. S/he will provide strategic guidance to multiple donors and will ensure synergy between the various aspects of projects, avoiding duplication and ensuring that resources are deployed effectively to deliver on project commitments.
S/he will also ensure that donor standards are reached in the implementation of the project and that all technical specifications of the project are delivered to a high quality. S/he will work closely with all project leaders across SHOFCO sites to ensure that the activities of all partners are aligned and implemented efficiently and effectively, in order to meet agreed targets and deliver good value for money.
The Project Director/Grants Manager will be the technical focal point and will be expected to provide technical oversight for the day-to-day implementation of the project across all SHOFCO sites. S/he will steward the project while monitoring effectiveness, environmental opportunities and challenges, and risk levels.
SHOFCO is a grassroots organization that unlocks the potential of urban slum dwellers to lead hopeful and fulfilling lives. SHOFCO disrupts survival mode by providing critical services including health care, clean water, education, and economic empowerment; and links these efforts to a community-led advocacy platform. Over the next 5-10 years, SHOFCO aims to become a national platform for urban slum transformation across Kenya, demonstrating a scalable and replicable model that can be used around the world.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further our vision of: Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty
The post holder commits to and is held accountable to the SHOFCO values:Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Respect Grassroots, Innovation.
Activities to include:
- Leading the effective and efficient delivery of the project within budget, ensuring that MasterCard expectations and project KPIs are met and exceeded.
- Provide overall leadership for the project team across all SHOFCO sites, ensuring collaboration between all implementing partners and coordination across implementation sites.
- Ensuring high-quality programme delivery, following donor and SHOFCO compliance and standards, to agreed work plans.
- Providing guidance, support, and oversight to the donor to ensure the project is implemented efficiently, effectively, and providing good value for money.
- Ensuring robust, accurate, and meaningful monitoring, evaluation, and learning across the project, ensuring learning is integrated into ongoing implementation.
- Improving operations by strengthening capacity, building high-performance teams, identifying and promoting talent, managing performance.
- Governance / Programs Management
Activities to include:
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements at all levels and providing guidance to donors on compliance.
- Effectively managing the project budget, ensuring efficient use of resources, and managing expenditure in line with the agreed budget.
- Compiling and submitting regular reports to MasterCard, ensuring all reports are reviewed by the required approvers internally.
- Regular review of progress ensuring delivery against agreed work plans, identifying issues and developing solutions, and supporting relevant departments to adjust their work plans accordingly.
- Representation of SHOFCO and the project at strategic level, including with MasterCard, and engage and influence relevant stakeholders including government agencies, ministries, and the county governments.
- Uphold all SHOFCO core values and lead by example.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Strategic Management or any other related field.
- Qualification in Strategic Management or any other related field.
- At least 5 years’ demonstrable experience managing large and complex projects funded by MasterCard and other institutional donors with budgets of upward of $5 million (essential)
- Significant experience in managing local and international implementing partners to deliver results across a range of project aspects. (essential)
- Proven general management experience in operationally demanding and challenging environments, including recruitment, training and supervision of direct reports (essential)
- Track record in building and maintaining strong relationships with national and county governments, the private sector and the local communities to deliver projects (essential)
- Demonstrated capacity to manage financial resources effectively and transparently to achieve maximum impact and value for money.
- Proven knowledge and experience applying donor compliance and familiarity with donor terms and conditions, duty of care requirements, etc. (desirable)
- Fluent in English (essential)
Successful performance at SHOFCO is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 10 key behaviours that SHOFCO encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
- Examining Information: Processing information, asking probing questions and Finding solutions.
- Adapting practical approaches: Applying practical skills, learning by doing and applying common sense.
- Articulating information: Giving presentations, explaining things and projecting social confidence.
- Making decisions: Deciding on action, assuming responsibility and standing by decisions.
- Thinking positively: Being optimistic, recovering from setbacks and projecting cheerfulness.
- Team working: Working participatively, encouraging team contributions and involving others in decisions.
- Checking things: Finding errors, ensuring accuracy and finishing tasks.
- Managing tasks: Working methodically, planning activities and setting priorities.
- Taking action: Making things happen, using initiative and investing energy.
- Pursuing goals: Achieving outstanding results, acting with determination and persisting through difficulties
All applications to be submitted before 26th September 2020