The East African Wild Life Society (EAWLS) is a membership-based NGO that seeks to enhance the conservation and wise use of the environment and natural resources in East Africa for the benefit of current and future generations. We are seeking an energetic, innovative and visionary new team member who will assist in building upon our more than 60 years of experience and leadership in the conservation sector, by enhancing our impacting on environmental matters in target regions of EastAfrica.
Reporting to the Head of Projects, the Programme Manager - Forests will work closely with the Head of Programmes and other Programme Managers, to build an effective and innovative Programmes team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mobilizing resources including generating fundraising proposals to sustain the forests programme.
- Providing inputs in the review of applicable National and County policies and laws, plans and programmes.
- Managing the forest projects in the organization including implementation of the forest conservation programme.
- Building capacity and strengthening local community institutions including Community Forest Associations (CFAs), Water Resource Users Associations (WRUAs), Charcoal Producer Associations (CPAs) and other Community-Based Organizations (CBOs).
- Monitoring forest conservation issues in the East African region and reporting areas of intervention for the organization.
- Championing, promoting and participating in conservation of both protected and unprotected forests to enhance sustainable utilization of forest resources.
- Enhancing the visibility of EAWLS as an organization that seeks to collaborate and partner with relevant stakeholders in the promotion of management practices for the sustainability of forest resources.
- Organizing and leading events in the forests programme including the annual Forest Challenge.
- Promoting EAWLS and its work and dealing with enquiries from the general public, community members and other interested parties on matters relating to conservation of forests.
- Developing work plans and budgets for the forests programme.
- Writing and submitting timely institutional and donor reports.
- Representing EAWLS in official occasions and functions, including workshops & conferences.
- Undertaking other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
- A degree in Natural Resource Management (NRM) or related field, preferably in forestry.
- A Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Over 5 years’ professional experience in NRM / Conservation, with demonstrated success in managing programmes.
- Proven track record in NGO fundraising and successfully developing, leading and managing programs in the field of environmental conservation.
- Experience in working with the private sector, donors, non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, as well as public sector;
- Knowledge of and experience with monitoring and evaluation of programmes/projects.
- Knowledge in local and national NRM and environment matters, Proven advocacy and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Demonstration of diligence in proposal and report writing
- Good public relations and communication skills
- Excellent computer skills in various computer packages (Ms. Word, Excel and power point);
- Instructions for applying
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a short statement outlining their vision for EAWLS forests programmes to [email protected] on or before 25th September 2020.
- Only shorlisted candidates will be contacted