The Principal is in charge of Mountain View School establishment both Junior High School and the Primary section.He/she is directly responsible to the School Director. The Principal is required to lead the School by upholding the School Mission, Vision, Educational Philosophy, Goals and Core Values of the school.
The Principal will operate within the leadership structure as determined by the School Board, to provide a strong, effective educational leadership in the parameters identified in this position description.
Within the context of the overall direction of the whole school, the Principal isin chargeof:
• Shaping a management vision for the school.
• Exercising wisdom and discernment in leading staff, studentsand parents.
• Developing and leading a school executive team that will cultivate and strengthen a positive teaching, learning and working environment for all staff and students at every level of operations.
• Making operational decisions which support the whole school vision andensure the smooth day to day operation of the school.
School Culture and Ethos
• Uphold the Mission, Vision, Values, Educational Philosophy and Goals of all MVS operations.
• Be able to think strategically, hold a vision for the School consistent with the overall MVS vision and lead others to the realization of that vision.Documents such as the Strategic Plan and School Improvement Plan highlights this vision in greater detail.
• Establish a strong collaborative service culture within the school.
• Display a strong sense of service to the school community.
• Foster strong positive relationships between other like-minded schools.
• Take responsibility for, and be directly involved in, the appointment of teachers and support staff in accordance with the MVS Employment policies and practices, and work collaboratively with the school Director.
• Recommend the hiring, rewarding, disciplining, terminating, and remuneration of school employees except for him/herself, in direct consultation with the School Director and in accordance with policy and/or approved budgets.
• Induct, supervise and evaluate performance of all staff in accordance with MVS policies and practices: provide counselling and assistanceas indicated; recommend appropriate action in cases of substandardperformances; identify and encourage individual teachers and supportstaff with leadership potential.
• Ensure written communication of employment details to teaching andnon-teaching staff occurs annually, or more often as required, inconsultation with the Director.
• Be familiar with MVS administration procedures and seek tostreamline processes and effect efficient practices in liaison with theadministration staff.
• Liaise with the MVS Director in setting budgets for the
• Monitor actual spending against budget, taking steps to ensure thatbudgets are not exceeded.
• Take responsibility for ensuring that the School fulfils all government requirements in consultation with the School Director.
• Attend all meetings as required by the School Administration.
• Prepare the School calendar in collaboration with the Leadership Team.
• Ensure appropriate tasks are delegated to staff to ensure all operationsare effective and efficient.
• Plan and facilitate staff meetings and strategic professional learning anddevelopment.
• Regularly review the documentation and implementation of MVS rulesand behavioral expectations.
• Prepare teaching allocations and responsibilities.
• Preparation of the timetable.
• Oversee preparation of the new Staff Induction Program.
• Have a working knowledge of the school administration systems and MVS policies.
• Ensure that the maintenance requirements are documented and thatregular maintenance occurs around the school as per the MaintenancePolicy.
• Make recommendation to the school Board of Management for improvement of facilities.
• Ensure that Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Procedures areadhered to.
• Maintain up to date files electronically and/or in print of all administrativesystems, such as: student records, staff records and archives.
• Take an active role in the regular review, development and implementation of MVS policies and the annual Business Plan.
• Recommend new policy and initiatives to the MVS Director.
Teaching and Learning
• Actively and pro-actively enhance the quality of teaching and learning.
• Analyze and evaluate available data on student performance and take appropriate action to improve teaching and learning outcomes.
• Oversee curriculum implementation in line with the MVS educational directions and the Ministry of Education Curriculum Policies.
• Keep abreast of developments in Digital Learning Technologies andactively promote use of ICT by teachers in the classroom.
• Oversee assessment and reporting.
• Initiate the Interview process of prospective students and their parentsfor enrolment suitability according to the MVS Enrolment Policy.
• Offer placements to students according to the Enrolment Policy.
• Liaise with parents regarding enrolment of students with special needsand ongoing wellbeing of the students.
• Maintain a wholesome spiritual and emotional atmosphere that will help nurture the students spiritually.
• Take a caring interest in the students and staff, and a supervisory role inthe maintenance of standards and general discipline of students.
• Oversee the implementation of the Behavior Management Policy andassociated staff and student welfare policies, and empower classteachers, and teaching staff to enforce this policy.
• Ensure students with special needs – educationally, physical emotionaland spiritual, receive appropriate counselling and remedial support.
• Counsel and refer parents and students involved in serious breaches of disciplineor emotional trauma.
• Regularly attend Professional Development Training Seminars to keepabreast of current educational trends.
• Ensure that all staff actively engage in appropriate ProfessionalDevelopment and facilitate staff attendance at professional developmentactivities.
• Keep up to date with current educational thought and practice.
• Develop and maintain a strategic marketing plan for the School inconsultation with the School Director.
• Oversee the preparation of all publicity materials: flyers, TV andnewspaper advertisements, brochures and information folders.
• Be aware of community concern and promote the School wheneverappropriate.
• Other duties as appropriately assigned.
- A degree in Education is required.
Possess Knowledge of:
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Principles and practices of administration and supervision.
• Provide leadership and direction to Staff.
• Analyze problems, make decisions, and be responsible for those
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with staff, students, administration and parents.
• Prepare comprehensive narrative and statistical reports.
• Interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies, procedures andstatistics.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationshipswith others.
• Operate a computer to a high level of competence and other officeequipment.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of actions.
• Meeting schedules and time-lines.
• Work independently with little supervision
It is expected that the Principal will possess the following traits:
• Strong teacher background.
• Love for students.
• Intellectual capacity.
• Proven ability to lead.
• Relational style which commands loyalty.
• Ability to lead and work with teams.
• Problem solving ability.
• Multi-tasking capability.
• Strong interest in current educational trends.
• High administrative ability.
• Strong sense of justice.
• Ability to confront difficult situations.
• Resilience and energy.
All applications to be sent to My Jobs In Kenya before 5th October 2022.