Our client, Kenya Ports Authority Pension Scheme (KPAPS) is a DC/DB Pension Scheme that provides retirement benefits to employees of the Kenya Ports Authority. The Scheme wishes to recruit a transformational individual to occupy the position of Manager, Finance and Investment.
This position will be responsible for all aspects of Finance and Investment functions and will be expected to provide appropriate financial and investment services. The role will be accountable for prudent financial management with an emphasis on budgeting, financial analysis, capital asset and implementation of financial policies and procedures with the aim of attaining set performance Goals/Objectives.
- Oversee receivables, payables and financial reporting by ensuring all the finance-related functions of the Scheme are flowing smoothing through the following activities:
- Directs all finance functions including those necessary for auditing, budgeting, financial analysis, capital asset and property management in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, financial policies and procedures, and all other applicable rules and guidelines;
- Participates in the formulation and Implementation of the strategic and policy direction for the Scheme in order to ensure efficient service delivery and adherence to existing laws;
- Participate in the development of financial policies and procedures for the entire Scheme in order to ensure that they are aligned to relevant laws and RBA Circulars;
- Offers advisory services to the Trustees on the strategic direction in all matters relating to finance, Accounting and procurement in order to ensure prudent use of resources;
- Monitors, analyses, and interprets KPAPS’s financial performance evaluation reports and making recommendations to management on policy changes;
- Ensures Prudent management of finance, and physical assets of the organization; preparing monthly/quarterly financial projection, statements and budgets; exercising expenditure controls of the organization;
- Supervises accounting activities; updating management reports; monitoring and evaluating implementation of the statutory mandate;
- Works in close consultation with the Pension Scheme Administrator on all financial management issues;
- Provides comprehensive financial and decision support to the Scheme through a wide variety of financially focused work to directly increase profitability and contribute effectively to business decisions; and
- Ensures legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Oversees all the investment-related functions of the Scheme through the following activities:
- Effective formulation and implementation of investment strategies to meet agreed investment objectives;
- Acquisition, Development and Promotion of investment information across the Scheme;
- Keep abreast with the Kenyan economic developments to get ideas on investment;
- Develop and create awareness of the tax environment within which specific investments and investors operate; and
- Construct risk profiles for proposed client portfolio changes and prepare investment portfolio data for client reporting
- Review, restructure (as appropriate) and report on individual and corporate portfolios;
- Monitor and oversee investment operations and administration activities to ensure the smooth running of the operations;
- Network to maintain relationships with existing investment clients and foster new profitable relationships;
- Lead in identifying, developing and implementing effective internal control mechanisms and drive consistent improvements in financial processes and routines;
- Identify areas that need improvement, develop and implement continuous improvement of accounting systems and procedures that will enhance the quality, timeliness, and availability of financial information;
- Coordinate payments and receivables in accordance with policy and procedures of the scheme;
- Facilitate both external and internal audits of the Scheme
Master’s Degree in Economics or in Commerce (Accounting or Business Administration with Finance Option) or any other Business-related field from a recognized Institutions
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics or Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce (Accounting or Business Administration with Finance Option) or any other Business-related Degree from a recognized university.
Must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPAK), ACCA, CIFA, CFA or a KISM Diploma and a member of ICPAK, ICIFA or KISM
Must have a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience, three (3) of which should be in a management role
- Must be computer proficient
- Must have impeccable planning and budgeting skills.
- Must have a good understanding of the Constitution, Public Finance Management Act and related legislation, Public Procurement and Disposal Act and regulations, financial reporting standards and Public Sector accounting standards.
- Must be familiar with the major Investments trends for pension schemes
- Must have leadership and supervisory skills.
- Must have good communication and analytical skills.
- Must possess sound interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Must be able to work under pressure.
- Must have proven problem-solving skills and knowledge of conflict management.
- Must have excellent negotiation skills
All candidates must ensure that their CVs contain working telephone numbers and email addresses, and a list of at least three (3) referees with their current contacts; and attach certificates proving compliance with Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya.