Announcement Number: Nairobi-2021-060
Hiring Agency: Embassy Nairobi
Position Title: Maintenance Mechanic (Plumber) - All Interested Applicants
Open Period: 09/17/2021 - 09/30/2021
The U.S. Mission in Nairobi is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Mechanic-Plumbing in Facilities Management.
The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer Supervisor. The incumbent is employed as a journeyman level Maintenance Mechanic - Plumber to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work on the critical and non-critical mechanical and plumbing systems throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) functional/office buildings, on-compound ancillary support and residential buildings, above and below ground infrastructures, recreational facilities, and other owned/leased properties.
- Completion of Secondary School.
- Completion of vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level plumbers and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities.
- English level II (Limited knowledge, Writing/Speaking/Reading) is required. (This may be tested).
- Kiswahili Level III (Good working knowledge, Writing/Speaking/Reading) is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience working as a journey-level plumber in the repair and maintenance of plumbing/mechanical systems in commercial or industrial facilities is required.
- Must have experience working with PVC, CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, and black pipe; circulation and well pumps, and water treatment equipment.
- The incumbent is required to have a thorough, technical understanding of major building plumbing/mechanical systems and equipment, with a speciality in plumbing systems.
- Familiarization with general mechanical systems, including domestic hot and cold water piping systems, wastewater piping systems and vent stacks, stormwater management systems, chilled water systems, water treatment facilities, swimming pool equipment, fire suppression systems, compressed air systems, and irrigation systems is required.
- Familiarization with the many different types of pipe and fittings (PVC and CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, black, etc.) is required.
- Must know how to diagnose the root cause of a problem and what materials and equipment will be needed to facilitate repairs.
- Must know how to work safely on equipment, systems and associated components including the use of lock-out / tag-out safety measures.
- Knowledge of IBC standards, and fire and life safety codes is required.
- The incumbent must be skilled at reading and interpreting technical documents including layout drawings, as-built drawings, riser diagrams, equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, and other manufacturer’s literature.
- The incumbent shall have the skills and abilities in the following areas: diagnosing and repairing filtration systems, water pumps, hot and cold water systems; testing potable water system components, monitoring of chemical and salt injection systems, and taking equipment readings with various meters; use of hand tools, power tools, and speciality tools to determine appropriate repairs.
- Additional skills include installation and repair to the various types of plumbing pipe such as PVC and CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, and black pipe; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, colour codes and odours in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs.
- Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, on ladders at various heights, and in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
- Must be computer literate, able to navigate through the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint; able to draft reports and create spreadsheets, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet.
- Must possess a valid Kenyan driver’s license with at least five (5) years of experience driving.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks.
- Must be organized.
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applications are to be submitted through the link before 30th September 2021 through the link //erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/vacancy/viewVacancyDetail.hms?_ref=t3ljq0zrpt0&returnToSearch=true&jnum=26925&orgId=25