Announcement Number: Nairobi-2022-035
Hiring Agency: Embassy Nairobi
Position Title: Maintenance Mechanic (Generator) - All InterestedApplicants
Open Period:05/05/2022 - 05/19/2022
The U.S. Mission in Nairobi is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Mechanic (Generator)in Facilities Management.
The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer Supervisor.
The incumbent is employed as the Maintenance Mechanic - Generator to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work on prime and stand-by emergency generators for the New Embassy Compound (NEC) and residential owned/leased properties.
Responds to scheduled, unscheduled and preventive maintenance work orders generated by the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
Completion of secondary school is required. Completion of training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing power generation diesel engine mechanics is required.
English level II (Limited Knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading in English is required
A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the operation, maintenance, and repair of prime or standby power generators for large commercial properties such as high-rise office buildings, a hospital or college campus, or for the local utility company is required.
One year of which should be in the operations, maintenance, and repair of 1000 KVA or larger generators.
- Knowledge of the internal working of a combustion engine, torque values at various RPMs, and methods and standards for routine maintenance on combustion engines is required.
- Must have a very good technical understanding on how diesel engines are sized for generators in order to obtain optimum performance from both pieces of the packaged unit.
- Must know how to adjust valves, change filters and belts, adjust speed to achieve hertz levels (50 or 60 Hz), and make minor repairs.
- Must know how to research information on the internet in order to get up to date information from the generator manufacturer.
- Knowledge of fire and life safety codes and standards is required.
- Must have the skills and abilities in the following areas: diagnosing and repairing diesel engines, large packaged generator and alternator units; testing electrical components and taking equipment readings with various meters, hand, power, and specialty tools to determine appropriate repairs. lifting and carrying tools, equipment, or parts, maximum weight 25 kilos.
- Additional skills include installation of emergency standby generator systems; installation of plumbing lines required for the transmission and distribution of diesel fuel; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs.
- Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, on ladders at various heights, and in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
- Must have good computer skills, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks.
- Must be organized, with a keen aptitude to work independently, impeccable integrity, strong initiative, good judgment and to maintain confidentiality.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applications to be submitted through the link before 19th May 2022 //erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/vacancy/viewVacancyDetail.hms?_ref=ous5me5rpt0&returnToSearch=true&jnum=33068&orgId=25