Direct report:Operations Manager
Interface with: All Departments
Supervises: All Maintenance Department staff.
Lead the site Maintenance function in providing both a reactive and proactive, multi-skilled maintenance service on all operational equipment, facilities and infrastructure. Responsible for planned maintenance creation and overseeing the adherence and timely completion of work carried out.
General and Task Management
- Effectively delegate any maintenance issues to be resolved on each shift and small projects to the right skills in the team, planning and managing effective works.
- Adhere to daily and weekly checks to ensure smooth operation of site
- Develop a Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) schedule, ensure full preventative maintenance is carried out, plan in missed maintenance activities, and lead the team to deliver effectively.
- Schedule both internal and external work(s) maximizing planned down time and reducing unplanned downtime.
- Manage the team to ensure machine availability, reactively managing dysfunctional machinery with proper shift management.
- Optimize equipment according to standard procedure, enhancing performance and product quality, ensuring the achievement of all Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Ensure routine calibration and maintenance requirements of a variety of electro-mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems are undertaken.
- Ensure that designated buildings, plant and facilities are fit for purpose and to provide proactive support/solutions when required.
- Develop clear accountability for maintenance material spend combined with a strategy to manage expenditure.
- Manage systems and equipment data storage and maintain high levels of standards and accuracy.
- Manage the process of the introduction of new machinery, plant and equipment from drawing up the specification, to managing suppliers through to full installation in collaboration with all relevant parties.
- Manage the process of disposal of obsolete machinery, plant and equipment from gaining agreement to write off to physically removing it and its safe and lawful disposal.
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions / action required for continuous improvement.
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems that arise.
- Identify and deploy the technical skill sets, resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources where required.
- Ensure KPIs are met by working to the overall plan, including management of, and reporting.
- Conduct risk assessments of processes and tasks in the department.
- Manage contractors on site to ensure they meet legal and company requirements.
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors.
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing team that meets agreed objectives and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements.
- Set department objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports.
- Report on achievement of targets and identify any actions required.
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member of the team understands the standards and behavior expected of them.
- Ensure the delivery of the People Strategy within area of accountability Manage and lead the team, ensuring adequate staffing levels.
- Motivate and coach the team to operational success.
- Monitor the completion of tasks and ensure good performance and record on appropriate systems.
- Review, implement and update company records e.g. training matrices, performance reviews, risk assessments.
- Communicate KPIs from the strategic annual plan so that each employee is aware
Financial and Budget Control
- Input and hold responsibility for maintenance budgets
- Prepare the annual Maintenance budget and forecasts and all Capital Expenditure proposals as well as ensuring compliance with legal standards. Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects Relationship Management
- Work as part of the Management team to share ideas and improve operation, recommending, supporting and implementing continuous improvement activities
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the maintenance strategy
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of market change and potential effects on engineering design and development. Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimizing cost
- Liaise and communicate with other departments, customers, suppliers and other service providers.
- Ensure an effective interface with other departmental staff is maintained
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Handbook, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures
- Support encourage and develop team and take ownership for team cohesion
- Proactively contribute to creating a good team atmosphere
- Anticipates and overcomes obstacles.
- Makes useful links to arrive at insightful plans and solutions
- Embraces personal challenge.
- Confident, rounded thinking
- Is resilient, optimistic and open to change
- Has an Adult: Adult, collaborative approach to others
- A self-starter, motivated and able to positively motivate others
- Focused and target driven with a positive, can-do attitude
Records to Maintain
- Maintenance Logs
- Preventive Maintenance Schedules
- Maintenance Tools Register
- Breakdown Report
- A bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Additional certificate in other Engineering course will be an added advantage.
- 5+ years’ experience in a busy Welding and Fabrication environment.
- Previous work experience in a Similar/ related role.
- Knowledge of maintenance of Tool Room Machineries which includes but not limited to Lathe Machine, Milling Machine, Grinding Machine, Drilling Machine, Shaper Machine, Broaching Machine, Saw Machine, Shearing Machine, Hobbing Machine, Drill Press and CNC Hydraulic Machines.
- Previous work experience with ISO, KAIZEN, Lean and Six Sigma is an added advantage.
- Computer Knowledge is a requirement.
- Excellent leadership and man management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a variety of cross-functional team members
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making
- Commercially aware
All applications to be sent before 10th October 2022.