The post holder will report directly to the Global Security Director and will assist in ensuring that VSO excels in the management of safety and security across its entire portfolio of work. Working closely with project implementation and country teams, your technical knowledge will enable them to work safely and securely in some of the worlds challenging environments
Job purpose: To support the management of safety and security across VSO’s global portfolio of programmes.
Responsible to: Director of Safety and Security
Location, Group & Function: VSO Global office location
Advisory and Monitoring Services
- Monitor, analyze, and act upon credible information from internal and external sources which may affect VSO operations
- Conduct and support security assessments, sometimes in fragile, high risk or hostile environments
- Maintain a contextual knowledge of areas where VSO is implementing work
- Review and analyze security incidents reported through VSO’s incident management system Medgate, reconcile data to provide a regular global update report
- provide trend analysis based on multiple information sources and recommend improvements in security practice
- Ensure Global offices and project implementation teams maintain accurate and up-to-date records of security risk assessments and incident management, complying with VSO policies
Incident and Crisis Management Response
- Respond to and provide timely support to VSO staff during live safety and security incidents.
- Identify action points following incidents and help implement change where necessary
- Hold and respond to the VSO Global Emergency Phone on rotation
- Conduct Global safety and security training and periodically review curriculum and delivery
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with security focal points in VSO Global Offices and project implementation team leads on safety and security related issues, including Business Development.
- Be the main point of contact for accompanying security focal points to deal with safety and security related queries.
- Knowledge and understanding of security management in benign, fragile, and high-risk environments within a not-for-profit and development or humanitarian context
- Experience conducting security risk assessments and developing customized reports and action plans
- Overseas field experience in an international humanitarian/development setting with responsibility for safety and security desirable, especially within fragile and hostile environments.
- Experience of developing and delivering safety and security training
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to identify relevant trends and threats.
- Able to critically analyze multiple sources of information and provide contextual reporting
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels with consideration and respect for cultural diversity
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize own workload and adapt to fluctuating work demands
- Proven ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills and the ability to influence a range of people and key stakeholders across the organization
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
Please note shortlisted applicants will be invited to do an online exercise on 28th / 29th January 2021.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please click on the link to apply //www.vsointernational.org/about/careers/global-security-officer-a0m3z00000e9mgnaaj?source=myJobsinKenya