Announcement Number: Nairobi-2021-018R
Hiring Agency: Embassy Nairobi
Position Title: Economic/Commercial Specialist - U.S. Embassy Mogadishu (located in Nairobi)
Open Period: 04/07/2021 - 04/20/2021
The U.S. Embassy Mogadishu (located in Nairobi) is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Economic/Commercial Specialist.
- Under the general supervision of the Economic and Commercial Officer, gathers information on economic and political trends, performs analysis and reporting, and represents U.S. commercial interests in Somalia.
- Develops and maintains a broad network of contacts in the Federal Government of Somalia and the Federal Member States, private sector, and civil society.
- Periodic travel to Somalia may be required. Liaises with other U.S. government agencies such as USAID and the Department of Commerce. Reports to the Economic Officer.
- A four-year university degree in Business (Administration, Banking, Management, Finance, Marketing, Government, and International Relations), Economics, Political Science, Law or Legal Studies, or Communications is required.
- English Level IV (Fluent, Reading/Speaking/Writing) (This may be tested) and Somali Level IV (Fluent, Reading/Speaking/Writing) are required.
- At least four years of progressively responsible experience in either of the following areas - economic research, statistical analysis, international trade and marketing, government, politics, commercial affairs, education, newspaper reporting, or closely related field is required.
- Thorough knowledge of Somalia’s economic, political, and social structure and institutions, including clan systems, is required.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the economic and political relationships of key decision-makers in Somali society and government.
- Must be familiar with the national priorities of the host country and familiar with existing economic and political processes and mechanisms to affect change.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of U.S. foreign policy and assistance objectives.
- Good communication skills and the ability to interact with people more senior in authority and status of different backgrounds are required.
- Strong analytical and English language writing skills, the ability to work independently, and initiative are essential.
- Must maintain an extensive range of high-level contacts with Government of Somalia representatives and important economic, political, and civil society actors.
- Must provide and inform economic and political reporting with detachment and objectivity, and effectively communicate with contacts and Embassy leadership.
- Ability to work with statistics required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applications to be submitted through the link before 20th April 2021 https://erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/vacancy/viewVacancyDetail.hms?_ref=atiraehnpt0&returnToSearch=true&jnum=22953&orgId=25