Job Purpose: To grow VSO’s ability to deliver impact & influence in Mozambique. Strengthening VSO’s reputation, relationships and growing secured programme funding in Mozambique
Achieve ambitious annual business pursuit targets working with institutional donors, foundations, corporations, and implementing partners to enable VSO Mozambique to scale its programs and impact by securing increasing larger grants and contracts.
Work proactively and collaboratively with VSO’s Practice Area heads/technical teams and fellow Country Representatives to identify new program opportunities, cultivate donor/partner relationships, and secure major new program awards. Will be accountable for achieving annual secured funding targets for Mozambique
Strategic leadership, representation and policy dialogue
Engage actively as a VSO global leader and provide strategic leadership to the VSO Mozambique team.
Represent VSO Mozambique externally and internally, in line with our organizational agenda through evidence-based pre-positioning, influencing, partnership and consortium building, and policy dialogue. Proactively contribute to raising the profile of VSO in-country with key partners and stakeholders.
Develop a deep understanding of VSO’s Practice Areas and local programs in Mozambique and across VSO’s global operations to be able to talk persuasively with external donors and partners about VSO’s track-record and impact from our volunteering for development approach in contextually relevant ways.
Proactively lead the development and deepening of relationships with VSO donors (USAID, DFID, World Bank, EU, UN, GIZ, KfW, Gates Foundation, GAVI, Global Fund, corporations among others) in Mozambique and across the region, identify and pursue opportunities for funding in collaboration with relevant business pursuit, country and practice area teams.
Proactively lead the development and deepening of VSO’s partner relationships and network (government agencies, International Non-government Organizations (INGO), Local Nongovernmental Organizations (LNGOs) private sector, and others in Mozambique and across the region. Create trust-based, high-quality partnerships that contribute to the scaling and increasing quality of VSO’s programs and impact
Governance and legal compliance.
Ensure compliance within the country (in collaboration with the Global Implementation Team), including legislative requirements and VSO policies.
Lead role in-country
Support the development of a positive VSO workplace culture in Mozambique, identifying opportunities for collaboration, and sharing knowledge.
Responsibility for the pooled office running costs
Effective liaison with Project team Leads and Chiefs of Party to ensure effective and efficient budget allocations from programs in Mozambique.
Safeguarding, security and risk management
Commit to VSO’s vision and values, including safeguarding and taking a zero-tolerance approach to abuse and harm.
Where required, support the implementation team in managing duty of care incidences from a country compliance and reputational perspective.
Oversight of risk management from a country-level perspective i.e. legislation changes and ensure country operating environment risks are managed appropriately.
With members of the business development team, including Public Fundraising and Business Intelligence, to ensure alignment of income growth strategy with programme strategy
Work closely with Communications and Marketing to identify and agree VSO internal and external messaging
Contribute to and support other Country Representatives to enhance VSO’s partner relationships and programme proposals and secured funding growth.
Work closely with programme leads in Mozambique, to share learning and support the positioning of our work in country.
Work closely with multi-disciplinary people resource within global support teams and the Legal team to ensure compliance with relevant regulatory and due diligence requirements.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of volunteerism in development.
- Sectoral knowledge in VSO’s Practice Areas of inclusive education, livelihoods, and health
- Significant business pursuit experience with a proven track record of increasing secured funding success; a passion for networking, relationship building and pre-positioning.
- Significant experience of creating partnerships and relationship-building in consortia.
- Significant experience developing and winning major new programme opportunities; leveraging bid development processes.
- Strong change management experience, with the skills and determination to make difficult decisions and achieve transformational change.
- Proven track record of leading a high performing multicultural team.
- Experience of ensuring compliance in all areas for a country office operation.
- Excellent leadership skills, including the ability to inspire teams, donors, and partners with a vision.
- Excellent personal relationship skills with substantial experience in networking and influencing a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Tenacious marketing and pre-positioning skills and attributes (e.g., publishing, thought leadership)
- Commitment to VSO’s mission and values.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Portuguese (additional language abilities welcome).
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please submit your application through //www.vsointernational.org/about/careers/country-representative-mozambique-a0m3z00000dxhxsaat?source=myJobsinKenya